Tuesday, December 1, 2009

PART-TIME JOB vs STUDYING

Is it a good idea for finding a part-time job while studying? This question comes to my mind while I’m working my part-time job at Computer Lab. I think this is a good question. Some might think that working part-time job will affect your study at school or university. But for me, working part-time job is a good idea and it gives me many benefits.

I’m one of those who have a part-time job while studying. Because living expense in Boston is quite high and I want to have more experiences outside my classroom, I start to think about finding a part-time job while I’m studying my master in Boston. Now I’m working at Computer lab as a lab general assistant. First, I think that working at computer lab required many computer-related skills and I think I cannot do this job for sure. Fortunately, after an interview, I just realized that my job is just to monitor an overall of computer lab and give others a hand when they need help about printing or access to any program.

For my part, I don’t think that working part-time job would not affect your study. It is your responsibility to manage your time for doing both things if you would like to. In spite of, I think there are many advantages you can get from working while studying.

First, you can earn more money to compensate for expenses. Without a job, you have only expenses but no any income. And when you work by yourself, you will know the value of money you spent and this will help you spend money more carefully.

What’s more is working would help students learns more about responsibility. When people work, they have to take more responsibility than study. You might have to wake up since early morning to work or might have to go home late to finish your work too. If you aren’t responsible, it does not only affect your work but also others. That’s why working could help student learn more about responsibility.

Moreover, working allows you to gain others experiences besides a knowledge you gain from studying. When you are working, you might face other problems that you never face in you classroom. You have to solve the problem and learn more from the experiences you get. In addition, working will expand your network since you might meet and know more people who might not be your classmate.

Last but not least, working would make you understand and know how to use your knowledge and any skill you learn in the real life. Only theory is not enough, everything need a practical part in order to see how we can adapt or apply what we know to suit with a real life situation.

I think what I stated above would be enough to answer the question “Is it a good idea to work while you are studying”. And if I have a chance, I would persuade you to find a part-time job like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment