Thursday, November 5, 2009

I BELIEVE IN FREEDOM OF SPEECH


“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” This is the First Amendment to the United States Constitutions.


I believe in freedom of speech. To me, we live together in one place in which is called world. I believe without freedom the world wouldn’t be like the world we live in today. I believe that freedom is the deepest need of every human soul. In my opinion, I strongly believe that freedom of speech could help solve many problems. Speech by Dr.Martin Luther King had ever helped solving the problem with racism. I know we all remember that powerful speech “I have a dream”. It is the popular name given to the public speech he called for racial equality and an end to discrimination.


Compared to my country, there are some laws which limit a freedom of speech. Thailand is quite a conservative country and pay extremely respect to our monarchy, so in our constitution, there is a law called Thai lese majeste law. It stated that “The King shall be enthroned in a position of revered worship and shall not be violated. No person shall expose the King to any sort of accusation or action”. Due to the different in culture and lack of understanding of Thai law, an Australian writer was sentenced to three years in prison since he wrote a novel of his deemed to defame the Thai monarchy.


Besides a law, freedom of speech is sometimes limited by the norm and culture of the society. In conservative society, it is considered improper to say frankly what you think. Some organizations do not allow their employee to express their opinion that much. Everything should follow the consideration of their superior. This kind of limitation will obstruct the development of an organization. In my opinion, the more freedom of speech we have, the more developed organization is. This is because when an organization allows its employee to express their opinion, it will generate many new ideas which could be practical to an organization.


Even though I believe in a freedom of speech, I think that we should emphasize on an importance of the word meaning we used. Some words should be left unsaid as it could offend others and it can lead you into some troubles.


Every people have their own opinion and beliefs. For me, I believe that one day I can use my words to make a speech that can change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment